Monday, June 20, 2011

Girl at the Lake

I will never forget the first time I saw her. I know that too many people use a word like 'never' as if they understand the true meaning of it, even though they really don't know what it contains; but that is sincerely and truly not the case here. I dare to swear on my heart and soul that I will never forget that first time.
It was a gray, chilly day. The wind was singing a sad tune, making the leaves dance around and the treetops sway. It had been drizzling for most of the day and I guess this made the Angels above sad when they noticed, because suddenly the rain got worse, as if they had started crying. Then our mighty Lord would come along and show them what they were doing and they'd realize that they were just making things worse, so they'd stop their tears. But as the Lord disappeared and the drizzle returned, she sensitive spirits of the Angels world turn melancholy and it would start all over again. I wonder if God ever got tired of this little game?
Anyways, I was taking a walk through the forest of this 'holy' day. You know, to think some things through. I came to a glade. It had this little lake surrounded by trees but in some way it had an openness about it.
From the shore of this lake there was an old bridge made out of wood that went almost half way out through the lake. She was sitting at the end with her back turned against me. She had long, black hair which was soaking wet, along with the purple dress that she was wearing. As if the dress wasn't already too little to wear for such a cold day. Just looking at her gave me the chills.
For what could have been a minute, an hours, a day, I just stood there. There was something about her. On one hand, I was drawn to her. I mean, she was sitting there all alone in the rain, probably going through the exact same pattern of thoughts that I knew all too well. And like all other beings I am more often than not drown to other beings if I can relate to them in some way. But then it hit me. Maybe, just maybe, she was enjoying life. Maybe she lived a completely problem-free life and she had just taken a moment to come out here and reflect over all the great things in her surroundings. But I quickly decided that that was surely a silly, not to mention unrealistic, thought so I simply pushed it away. Come on, that isn't even possible. Right?...
These were my thoughts in that minute or hour or day that I stood there. In one way I wanted to run away. What if I went over there and her life as a matter of fact was perfect and I had been all wrong? Nobody likes to be wrong. But then again, nobody likes to be stupid either and if you're afraid to be enlightened, won't you always be? Plus, let's face it, I was curious. And even though I'm aware of the fact that curiosity kills, I couldn't help it. So I stepped out on the bridge and walked over to her. As I sat down, she didn't react. Not a single motion was to be detected. She didn't even look at me. It was like I was air. I immediately regret but I didn't back out. I was too curious, besides; it's not like I had anything better to do. So I just sat there, looking across the lake.
Again, I honestly have no idea how much time passed by, before she turned her head and looked at me. I responded by looking back at her and smiling politely. She had the clearest blue eyes, so blue, so clear, they could cut directly through your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment